Recognize that beautiful face? That’s Ann, the winner of our Marry Me on Main Dream Wedding Giveaway – and she is getting married in TEN WEEKS! She recently visited Stephanie at Sabatke Transformations to perfect her wedding day look. Below Stephanie tells us about Ann’s consultation, along with 10 tips for a successful hair and makeup trial!
“Coming into the studio Ann greeted me with a warm smile and a beautiful bouquet of flowers! Her best friend of many years came following right behind her! We got introduced and as she sat in the chair she began to tell me a little bit about her wedding. I always love to hear about the dress and theme so that I can really envision my own idea of how the hair and makeup will all fit in! Ann explained that she likes natural colors with purple undertones.
We decided to do a mauve eye and a complementary nude lip. After going through about four or five hair photos she had saved we decided on a half up half down look. Going back-and-forth between having the sides pinned up or not we decided to pin back one side leaving the other down and flowing. Ann felt that was a very romantic look and I agree! Her hair held the curl and volume well so with a few minor adjustments!
The makeup came together effortlessly and after finishing she decided she would like just a little more emphasis in the eyes and expressed she was happy we went with the airbrush foundation as it felt light and natural! After a final hairspray and spritz of makeup setting spray, her trusted friend and I began a photo frenzy to be sure we captured every element of the look to refer back to in May!”
10 TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL WEDDING HAIR & MAKEUP TRIAL
- Plan ahead: Schedule the trial 1-3 months before your wedding. Most brides like to schedule on a day such as the dress fitting, bridal shower or bachelorette party. Since you’ll be all done up there’s no point in sitting around the house!
- Prepare: Coming with clean, second day hair and a clean lightly moisturized face for makeup is best.
- Attire: Dress well but keep it simple, the focus is solely on hair and makeup. Wearing white will especially help you picture the day of!
- Speak up! If you don’t like something the trial is the time to speak up. This eliminates any uneasiness on the big day and ensures you get exactly what you are looking for. This is an appointment to do all the tweaking you want until it is just right. Be sure it is!
- Bring accessories: Bring any hair accessories you will be wearing, including your veil, if you’re worried how it will fit into your chosen style
- Bring inspiration: Photos of what you like are important but so are photos of what you DON’T. This gives your artist clear guidelines of what to stay away from. Even if you don’t know exactly what you want you may know what you don’t (dark eyes, tight formal updo, etc.).
- Ask about pricing in advance! Some salons offer a free trial others may charge full price. I offer half off for the trial day.
- Schedule your appointment in the early afternoon. The rest of the day is important to keep your hair and makeup in mind… how is it holding up? Hours later are you still loving the look or is the lipstick still not quite right? Always be looking in the mirror and take lots of photos! Get acquainted with this look and be sure, just like the dress, it’s the ONE
- Consider touch-ups. Ask your stylist if they provide you with necessary hair spray and pins to keep hair and place or the perfect lipstick shade at the end of your appointment. If they do not offer these things they are great to have on Hand in your emergency kit!
- Think ahead. A favorite lipstick or perfume purchased before the wedding can really personalize the look and become a favorite “memory” in your beauty collection!
For more information about Sabatke Transformations and to schedule your own bridal consultation, check out her Featured Expert Profile Page.